Over time, skin elasticity is lost, the glandular and adipose tissues of the breasts degenerate, the breasts sag and lose their youthful shape. Drooping breasts in women can result from pregnancy, significant weight loss, or simply aging. This deformity can be corrected by performing a breast lift surgery (mastopexy).
How Is the Surgery Performed?
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, and time in surgery is up to 3 hours.
There are a few surgical techniques of a breast lift. The operative approach for each woman is specifically tailored on an individual basis considering the shape of the breasts, the extent of sagging, and woman’s desires.
A breast lift is frequently performed in conjunction with breast augmentation by silicone gel-filled implants.
During the surgery, the plastic surgeon repositions the nipple and the areola by moving them to a higher location on the breast and removes excess skin from the upper part of the breasts.
By suturing the wound, a breast contour is lifted to a higher position giving a more youthful shaped breast.
In case a woman has minimally sagging breasts, their shape can be corrected by teardrop-shaped or so-called “anatomical” silicone gel-filled implants by placing an incision around the areola and at the same removing the excess skin. The nipple is slightly moved, the breast volume is enhanced, and the postoperative scar remains only around the areola.
In case a woman has more sagging breasts, a breast lift involves an anchor or inverted T-shaped incision. This incision allows the surgeon to remove a greater amount of excess breast skin and glandular tissue in the lower pole of the breast. The resultant postoperative scar remains around the areola, extending downward in a vertical line and in the fold underneath the breast.
What Should Be Known After Surgery?
- To ensure proper wound healing, the patient should avoid heavy lifting above the shoulder level for 3 weeks after the surgery;
- A special support bra should be worn for 4 weeks after the surgery (24 hours per day);
- The patient should avoid strenuous physical activities and sports for 2 months;
- The postoperative scars should be protected from direct sunlight for a period of no less than 6 months to make them less noticeable;
- If during the same surgery the breasts were enlarged by silicone gel-filled implants, the patient should follow postoperative care instructions set for this surgery.