Todays medicine is inconcievable without the use of modern tests applied to patients, in order to receive accurate information about their health. One of these tests is endoscopy – typically refers to looking inside the body for medical reasons using an endoscope, an instrument used to examine the interior of a hollow organ or cavity of the body. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGDS) is a diagnostic endoscopic procedure that visualizes the upper part of the gastrointestinal tract up to the duodenum. It is considered a minimally invasive procedure since it does not require an incision into one of the major body cavities and does not require any significant recovery after the procedure (unless sedation or anesthesia has been used).
EGDS is performed if :
- there is pain of uknown origin in the upper part of the belly
- the patient has gastroesophageal reflux disease
- the patient has constant nausea or vomiting
- there is bleeding into the upper gastrointestinal
- the patient has abnormal swallowing or food and fluids jam in the esophagus
- there is abnormal imprecise findings in the investigation of the gastrointestinal tract X-ray, computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging
- there are previously found polyps, ulcers or healing tumors progression tracking.
How is the procedure performed?
EGDS is performed with a flexible endoscope – gastroscope in local or general anesthesia (with or without itravenal sedatives). Through the mouth into the digestive tube a thin flexible gastroscope is inserted, with a light source and a camera, for examination of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum. During the procedure, a stream of air is led through an endoscope in order to open the esophagus, stomach and duodenal lumen. This allows us to examine these organs with high precision and facilitates the insertion of the endoscope. During the EGDS , the doctor, depending on the clinical situation and / or endoscopic findings may perform diagnostic procedures like (esophagus and / or stomach and / or duodenum) normal or altered tissue biopsy.
In the clinic „Grožio chirurgija“ endoscopic tests are performed by an experienced gastroenterologist, Ph.D. Professor of Medicine. Kęstutis Adamonis.
We only work with modern, advanced Japanese OLYMPUS endoscopic equipment that makes diagnostics of digestive tract diseases, including cancer very accurate.