Lymphatic drainage massage
Lymphatic drainage massage is recommended after cosmetic surgical procedures or traumas due to its remedial effect as it:
- Effectively reduces swelling, bruising, and edemas;
- Speeds up healing processes and thus considerably shortens the recovery period;
- Minimizes scar and nodule formation;
- Stimulates the absorption and drainage of fatty tissue debris through the lymphatic system that is especially important after laser-assisted liposculpture or liposuction procedures;
- Suppresses local inflammation;
- Relieves pain.
How Is Lymphatic Drainage Massage Performed?
Lymphatic drainage massage uses slow, light, rhythmic stretching movements to activate the lymphatic system, i.e., lymph vessels and nodes.
Lymphatic drainage massage stimulates lymph vessels to open up and interstitial fluid and lymph to flow through them. This stimulates the removal of excess interstitial fluid in the swollen areas and more effective metabolism in the tissues, resulting in faster healing processes.
This massage treatment is recommended most frequently after the following surgeries:
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty);
- Facial surgeries: facelift, brow lift, and eyelid surgery;
- Breast surgeries: augmentation and reduction.