Wrinkle Correction With Botulinum Toxin Injections
A face is like a mirror of our emotions. Laughter, anger, or sadness – all your emotions leave their signs on your face. The development of dynamic wrinkles in certain areas of the face depends on the elasticity of the skin and individual anatomical characteristics – the activity of the underlying facial muscles. If certain muscles are hyperactive, they are constantly tightened, and this causes dynamic wrinkles to occur, which become more deeper and visible over time.
Botulinum toxin injections are used to treat such wrinkles and to prevent their occurrence.
What Is Botulinum Toxin and How Does it Work?
Wrinkle correction with botulinum toxin injections is the most popular minimally invasive cosmetic procedure worldwide. It is estimated that the number of such procedures performed reaches more than 5.5 million every year.
Botulinum toxin has bee used in medicine for more than 20 years. It is widely used not only in cosmetic surgery, but also in neurology for the treatment of muscle spasms, dystonias, and chronic migraines.
Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin, a substance that affects the endings of nerve cells in the muscles. As a result, paralysis of the local muscles occurs. When the muscles that cause dynamic wrinkles relax, these wrinkles are smoothed out, and this prevents the occurrence of new wrinkles in the area treated.
How Is the Procedure Performed?
The procedure is quick and relatively painless, and it takes about 15 minutes on the average. A needle used for this procedure is extremely fine, and 6 to 15 injections are done into different areas to be treated.
What Should Be Known After Procedure?
- Some bruising may occur at the injection sites, but it usually disappears within 10–25 minutes;
- Botulinum toxin takes effect on the third or fourth day, and a cosmetic improvement of wrinkle correction lasts for 4–6 months. Later, the contraction of the muscles is restored and wrinkles return back; therefore, subsequent injections are required;
- Care should be taken to avoid massaging the injection site(s) for 24 hours after the procedure;
- No lying down is recommended for 4 hours after the procedure;
- The patient is recommended to avoid direct sunlight, solarium, and sauna for 1 week after the procedure.